Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Obama's Speech

I didn't think I would watch Obama's State of the Union speech tonight. I had grown very disenchanted with politics after our great state elected a nude center-fold republican last week. After which Jeff and I slept in seperate beds for two nights. But, I was tired and had to watch something, so Obama it was. I fell in love all over again. I still can't believe the difference in basic intelligence between Obama and Bush - it was refreshing. I'm a cynic. So, if I ever exhibit hope, as I did last year when Obama was elected, and have it dashed as I did this year when the democrats whimped out on the health care reform battle, it will probably not come back. I'm not hopeful that the government will provide us with a meaningful public option health plan, nor am I hopeful that we will stop killing people in other countries under the guise of national security, but at least I can continue my intellectual(and maybe physical)crush on Barack Obama; or as my husband calls him affectionately "Barry."

4 comments:

emily said...

He's on your laminated list, isn't he?

Heather said...

It was fun to watch him last night. But I can't agree with you on giving up hope. I have a strong realistic hope, that politicians can finally come together and get some kind of health care reform passed. I was glad that he scolded our representatives on both sides. Something like, "We were brought here to serve the American people, not our own ambitions." We can't put all our hope in him alone, because there is only so much he can do without other people in Washington wanting to get something done. I loved his idea of kicking lobbyists out and starting a website that shows all of the earmarks before a bill is passed so that we can see how out money is being spent. You never heard Bush talking about transparency. You are so right about the intelligence level, Bush at his best sounded like a football captain who was elected student body president of his small town high school and handed some notes to read while failing is freshman English class.

Erin said...

It is so sad that you would give up so easily on politics. And I can't believe that you wouldn't watch the State of the Union! It was refreshing to hear him talk about the issues of government being unproductive. I really like listening to him speak.
At least we have a president knows what is going on and can talk about it.

jenlinmin said...

Hear, hear! He is mesmerizing to me! I've found myself on the disenchanted side of things this year too, but it's my own fault for convincing myself that he is some sort of Superman who transcends us mere earthlings. Come to find out, he is bound by some bad laws and really bad bi-partisan cultural constructs that have been decades in the making. I still have hope, though, that if he can't "change" things, at least maybe he can inspire our country (ie government leaders) and make little nudges toward the path to making better decisions for our citizens long after he is gone.